...Prove Their Worth...

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth
by hitting back." - Piet Hein

A kind of running diary and rambling pieces on my struggles with assorted books, classes, and other things, as they happen. You must be pretty bored to be reading this...

Saturday, May 22, 2004

Yeah!

Well, the semester's officially over, and I actually did well! I got an A- in my experimental physics class, mostly because I couldn't use a ruler to measure the length of a stick (!) in front of the professor on the lab final.

It feels nice to be able to whine about getting an A- in one class (oh noes), 'cause it used to be I'd be sighing mournfully at C's and worse. But hopefully I've now learned how to do well academically, and can keep it up. Sadly, my GPA will retain a certain eau-du-toilet fragrance no matter what I do, since my first two years sucked so much goat. My only real chance when I'm applying to grad schools will be to point and repeat over and over "look, look, upward trend!". Even so, I suspect my application will be passed around the admissions office, with "Check this out - hilarious!" post-its. Ah well. Such is life, and I think it's a good thing that people who actually demonstrate outstanding performance on a consistent basis have a much better shot at not being laughed at when looking for grad schools.

Happens to suck for me that GPA's important, but it's a pretty good system regardless. And anyway, I did well this semester, so I should be cheery. And I am, damn it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home