...Prove Their Worth...

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth
by hitting back." - Piet Hein

A kind of running diary and rambling pieces on my struggles with assorted books, classes, and other things, as they happen. You must be pretty bored to be reading this...

Saturday, May 22, 2004

Oh, and another thing.

My summer job officially rocks. I'm finally doing the kind of stuff that I've been reading about since I was ten years old.

I'm a typical, know-less-than-nothing undegrad, and yet through some spectacularly good luck, I'm actually working on a theoretical physics project. And I'm talking pen-and-paper work here, not being a code monkey. What's more, the specific project I'll be working on just as soon as I learn enough to understand it (like I said, I know nothing) is actually really interesting. It somehow manages to involve most of my self-study topics over the past two years, as well as hit most of the stuff I've been learning in the year I've been back in school.

AND I'm working with the professor who's the best teacher I've seen in the department. OMG.

I can't believe how lucky I am to be working on this stuff. Despite my generalized malaise about my further career prospects*, I really am quite cheery these days.

* - which may or may not be a bullshit thing - I don't really know how grad schools run admissions, or whether most will pulp my application on receipt based on GPA cutoffs. Maybe they'll be overwhelmed by my raw animal magnetism, which will somehow reach them even through a written medium, and immediatly offer me a full ride. Or maybe not.

1 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Blogger TwistedNoggin said...

And here I'm a freaking paralegal (pout). I didn't study to be a paralegal, it just happened.

I envy you. When I read phsyics books (usually simple layman stuff like Instant Physics, Q.E.D., and some beginning physics school texts, since I've had no education in it) I actually get flushed and my heart races. For some reason, I just find it terribly exciting.

Congrats on working your way to a fascinating career. I'll stick with being nerd-chick, artist and poet, in my spare time, and muddle through a few simple phsyics books when I can.
Nice blog, by the way. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home