...Prove Their Worth...

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth
by hitting back." - Piet Hein

A kind of running diary and rambling pieces on my struggles with assorted books, classes, and other things, as they happen. You must be pretty bored to be reading this...

Wednesday, October 22, 2003

So I had a fun time in my Japanese class Monday morning. Every day, we're supposed to memorize several so-called 'core conversations', and act them out in front of the class. Each conversation focuses on some aspect of the grammar/vocabulary we're supposed to be learning, and it seems to be a nice learning tool. Anyway, as the semester has progressed, the conversations to be memorized have gotten longer and longer, and they're now becoming a bit challenging.



Anyway, Monday's conversations were pretty serious, but I buckled down over the weekend and memorized them really well, and could regurgitate them at the drop of a hat. Ahem. Anyway, at the beginning of class the professor called for volunteers to be the first to go through the nastier core conversation. I raised my hand - first, I'd done an awesome job memorizing it, and second, I wanted to get it out of the way.



I delivered my first line prettty well, and then while listening to the response, something in my head decided to momentarily reflect on the fact that my partner for the conversation was actually quite a pretty girl. Unfortunately, as soon as I thought this, I somehow forgot the rest of my lines. Well, sort of, as I just said them really slowly and with mistakes.



Anyway, the lessons learned are 1) Don't volunteer, lest ye look like a total 'tard! 2) Memorize harder, and 3) Henceforth try to force self to view the people I recite stuff with in Japanese as hideous tentacle beasts, so as to minimize the chance of distractions. Anyway, what's curious here is that I don't normally blue-screen when confronted with pretty ladies. I'm not sure what the fuck happened in this case. A case of the Mondays, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home