...Prove Their Worth...

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth
by hitting back." - Piet Hein

A kind of running diary and rambling pieces on my struggles with assorted books, classes, and other things, as they happen. You must be pretty bored to be reading this...

Wednesday, December 25, 2002

So, I was messing with Gentoo Linux today, trying to install it and simulatenously tweak it so that prelinking works. I made some stupid mistakes, and for about an hour I'd thought I managed to totally fuck over both gentoo and windows, AND the MBR. 'Twas exciting. In the end, what I learned was a) don't try to install experimental versions of portage b) if you do, for the love of all that is holy, don't let the portage install script nuke gcc and associated goodies and c) figure out how grub works before messing with it.



So, a) combined with b) meant that I really did nuke my Gentoo install. That wasn't really a disaster, though, since I was just playing with it, and had nothing important in it. It's fixed now. Lesson c) means that Windows is fine, but hard to get to - I still haven't persuaded grub to throw up a boot menu, so I have to type arcane commands to get anything to boot up at all.



Merry Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hannukah, "Atheist Children's Gift Day", and other seasonal celebrations I don't really celebrate. (Except New Year's Day, which in my family corresponds to the 'gift day' mentioned above.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home