...Prove Their Worth...

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth
by hitting back." - Piet Hein

A kind of running diary and rambling pieces on my struggles with assorted books, classes, and other things, as they happen. You must be pretty bored to be reading this...

Wednesday, October 09, 2002

Wow. Now this is what I'm talkin' about. First, I've now made up my mind about what (techincal) book I'm buying next. It'll be Victor Bryant's Yet Another Introduction to Analysis. Every review of it I've been able to find is glowing to gushing, with the exceptions being from people who hate humor in their math texts (really!). What pushed me over the edge was this review by David Tall, a mathematics education researcher. Dang. It sounds just about perfect, and a quickie browse I've been able to give the text at the local bookstore was quite encouraging.


But reading that review, I noticed that it referenced a bunch of fascinating stuff about mathematics education, and I backtracked to David Tall's home page. Talk of mathematics, learning mathematics and the psychology of the previous, all mixed together nicely... Well, it makes for great reading. Check it out!


Also, Dr. Tall has a page about whiskeys, a couple of which are so lovingly described that they've gone on my 'to find and/or buy' list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home