...Prove Their Worth...

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth
by hitting back." - Piet Hein

A kind of running diary and rambling pieces on my struggles with assorted books, classes, and other things, as they happen. You must be pretty bored to be reading this...

Sunday, September 01, 2002

There's good news, and there's bad news. The good news is, I saw Mr. Thumpy tonight. Or, to be more accurate, I think I saw Mr. Thumpy - what I actually saw was a greyish blur hopping rapidly across someone's lawn. It was thus probably a rabbit, and thus probably Mr. Thumpy. You see, I wasn't wearing my glasses, because it's raining, and there are few things more annoying than rainy glasses.


The bad news is, I ran into an Honda sedan. It was parked. And when I say 'ran', I mean that literally. You see, as I said, I was jogging, without my glasses, and it was raining. At the time, I was fairly miserable (ever notice how rain, and water in general, is wet?), but could see my path fairly well. My eyesight sucks, but it's Good Enough for avoiding running into street lamps and parked cars at night. Normally. You see, I somehow got water into both of my eyes, and it actually stung a little bit. This was fairly bizarre - it's rain water, not pool water, so it shouldn't, presumably, have chlorine or whatnot in it, right? Well, regardless, I decided to wipe the water from my eyes. Also, since I have a promise to myself not to stop while jogging (it's a will-power and endurance thing, I guess), I did not slow down much. Well, this turned out to be a bad idea, because as it happens I misjudged both the distance to a nearby parked car, and my exact velocity vector. The result was me rubbing my eyes thoroughly satisfyingly, and opening them only in time to say 'ooouf' and sprawl across the hood of the aforementioned Honda. What's more, since, as I've already noted, it was raining, the car's hood was nicely slick, and my momentum suffiencient, for me to slide off the hood onto the pavement.


'Oooouf' indeed. Double, even.


It could have been a lot worse. First, the car could have had an alarm system. Could you imagine picking yourself off the ground and examining your extremeties to make sure they didn't detach just as the owners of said car run out and demand to know what the hell you're doing to their car? "Uhh, sorry sir, I ran into it in the rain. Literally." Oh dear. Second, it could have been a Mercedes, or a Jaguar, or some other car brand which delights in putting hood ornaments on their cars. Ouchie. Third, I could have actually damaged the car. Luckily, I didn't - I don't really have any particularly sharp edges, and it was a partially glancing blow, blunted somewhat by my hands which I threw out in front of me in a sort of haphazard fasion, so the car wasn't so much as scratched.


As for personal damage, I'll admit to being a slight bit sore, but the main injury is to my dignity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home