...Prove Their Worth...

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth
by hitting back." - Piet Hein

A kind of running diary and rambling pieces on my struggles with assorted books, classes, and other things, as they happen. You must be pretty bored to be reading this...

Friday, September 06, 2002

Special sneak preview: later tonight, if I get around to it, and more importantly, if I actually get it, I shall post my attempt at 'proving' that GL(n, R) and U(n) and SL(whatnot) and their cousins are Lie groups. (This is like #4, part II in Baez and Munian.) I've been struggling with this for two days, and I'm still not done. The best attempt I've got so far uses a bit too much handwaving to actually be a proof, which is highly unsatisfactory. I need to learn how to do proofs, damn it! And with reasonable speed, too: taking two days to kinda-sorta do Exercise #4 isn't cutting it.



Sigh.



On the bright side of things, the Swedes are my kind of blokes. I think I'd enjoy living in Sweden.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home