...Prove Their Worth...

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth
by hitting back." - Piet Hein

A kind of running diary and rambling pieces on my struggles with assorted books, classes, and other things, as they happen. You must be pretty bored to be reading this...

Sunday, July 28, 2002

I got my daily allowance of humor for the day this morning! I read a thread in a political discussion group I once frequented, which was started by the moderators for admonishing people to behave themselves and not engage in ad hominem attacks - especially tit-for-tat ones. When a particularly egregious (vicious, really) example of such an attack was presented in that very thread, can you guess what happened? Shock of shocks, the moderators responded with tit-for-tat ad homimems (and other, more substantive measures). The hypoc^Hthalamus is amusing to observe...


I'll post more math/physics related stuff later today, perhaps.


edit: I've got the sneaking feeling I might end up regretting saying some of that, but fuck it. I am, however, going to shut up now.


edit again: Oh dear. I've made a rather stupid mistake, conflating two very recent threads relating to 'moderation' issues into one in my mind. The incident I obliquely reference above did not take place in the 'lay off the tit-for-tats' thread - it was in the other moderation thread. Terribly sorry about that. Doesn't change the thrust of my, err, for lack of a better word, rant, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home