...Prove Their Worth...

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth
by hitting back." - Piet Hein

A kind of running diary and rambling pieces on my struggles with assorted books, classes, and other things, as they happen. You must be pretty bored to be reading this...

Wednesday, June 12, 2002

Yay! I'm done with Chapter 3 of Strichartz, "The Topology of the Real Line". This calls for tea and cake and/or candy, I think. Also, I'm seriously considering getting another book on analysis, name Abbott's Understanding Analysis as a supplement to Strichartz. Basically, Strichartz is admirably in-depth, but I just don't feel that I'm getting as much intuition from him as I'd like. Perhaps it's a foolish complaint - after all, the whole reason for being of analysis seems to be avoiding intuitive arguments in favor of anal-retentive formal ones. But Abbott claims to try to give intuition and rigour, and a few reviews of his book I've read agree, so I may end up buying his book.


In other news, Blogger's web interface looks even more terrible now. Whether that's Blogger's doing or some changes in Mozilla 1.1a, I don't know. Also, the house still has a certain scent to it. I wonder if French parfume manufacturers would be interested in bottling some eau du pizza brûlée, for a suitable fee, of course?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home