...Prove Their Worth...

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth
by hitting back." - Piet Hein

A kind of running diary and rambling pieces on my struggles with assorted books, classes, and other things, as they happen. You must be pretty bored to be reading this...

Monday, June 10, 2002

My fingers are tired. I've tried ten (10) problems in Needham over the last ten or so hours (spread over yesterday evening and today's evening). I haven't solved a single one. I did cover a few dozen pages with algebra and a few pictures and more algebra. A tangentially relevant passage from Macbeth comes to mind:



To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life 's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

I think I'll try to do something else now. Hmm. My choices, ignoring bummery:



  • Jump to the next chapter, on complex integration, and come back to the exercizes later

  • Jump books to Strichartz, prove the fucking triangle inequality once and for all, and soldier on

  • Continue trying these same ten exercizes

  • Beat head on wall.


Now, the latter two choices are effectively the same, and tempting as it the last choice is, it doesn't seem very productive. Sigh. Choices...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home