...Prove Their Worth...

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth
by hitting back." - Piet Hein

A kind of running diary and rambling pieces on my struggles with assorted books, classes, and other things, as they happen. You must be pretty bored to be reading this...

Monday, June 24, 2002

I'm switching to a strict regimen of Strichartz and Needham for the next few days. This was brought on by the fact that I can feel my understanding of Spivak slipping away from me faster than a radical libertrarian's screed on government slides off a slippery slope*. Basically, I'm just not grasping tangent bundles in any meaningful way. I can't just read the proofs anymore, and I just stare at them glassy-eyed. So I think I need to do some exercises, and I also need a break from Spivak.


I'm beginning to like Strichartz now that he's talking about things I've seen before, such as continuity of functions and differentiation. I can see him carefully motivating the discussion, stressing common themes in proofs and definitions, and so on. It all leads me to suspect I've been too harsh on his book, and that if I had seen things about the construction of the reals and topology and so on before I'd read his book, I would have enjoyed those sections as well.



I ate far more pasta than is advisable last night, so I didn't go jogging.


* - Ooh, baby, just look at that lovely alliteration! Bow down before my display of literary pretentiousness!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home