...Prove Their Worth...

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth
by hitting back." - Piet Hein

A kind of running diary and rambling pieces on my struggles with assorted books, classes, and other things, as they happen. You must be pretty bored to be reading this...

Monday, June 17, 2002

I saw Mr. Thumpy today! He was jumping about in the grass on someone's back yard. It was dark, but it was definitely Mr. Thumpy: he was gray, had large ears, and he moved like rabbit would, in spurts, actually making dull 'thumps' with what I assume to be rear legs during the initial phases of acceleration. I also saw the-cat-with-bells-on (I have got to think of a catchier, simpler name for the chap - I seem him almost every bloody night, after all.) He was inspecting the undercarriage of a parked car (or lying in wait, you never know with cats), and came out to greet me (or to startle me, for you never know...) as I passed. This was fairly close to the close encounter of the first kind with Mr. Thumpy, so I have to hope the-cat-with-bells-on and Mr. Thumpy get along well. They're about the same size, so I'm not sure who is harrassing whom, if their relations aren't cordial.


Nothing new to report on the math front. Still reading about winding numbers and topology. Hurray for Brouwer's Fixed Point Theorem!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home