...Prove Their Worth...

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth
by hitting back." - Piet Hein

A kind of running diary and rambling pieces on my struggles with assorted books, classes, and other things, as they happen. You must be pretty bored to be reading this...

Monday, May 06, 2002

So, I'm kind of stuck on figuring out how to decompose a Mobius Transformation. I know how it's supposed to end up: three dilation rotations, and one inversion. And I even know the exact formulas for all of them - they're given. And I can even say that it makes sense that there ought to be an inversion and some rotations making up the Mobius Transformation. But I can't seem to derive the decomposition. I've tried going backwards, from the given decomposition to the transformation, but even that failed: I ended up in a bizarre thicket of thorny and foul algebra, which didn't look right. Grr. I suspect I fucked up in applying the transformations successively, though - wasn't paying enough attention. So I'll need to try again. Sigh. So it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home